There are more cars on the roads these days and more accidents. As a result, some politicians have suggested that people should take regular driving tests throughout their lives, rather than one single test.
What do you think the advantages of repeating driving tests are?
Do these outweigh the disadvantages? Give reasons for your answer.
Advantages (merits or profits):
- Useful in case of older drivers
- Good for people who don’t drive regularly
- Keep drivers up-to-date with road rules
- Raises driving standards
- May prevent young people from driving too fast
- Reduce accidents
Disadvantages (demerits or drawbacks):
- Extra costs
- Learner drivers might have to wait longer for a test
- It may not be possible to include a written test every time
- Difficult to organize