Some people believe that it is wrong to keep animals in zoos, while others think that zoos are both entertaining and ecologically important.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Positives of keeping animals in zoos:
- Environmental perspective: Zoos play an important role in wildlife conservation. They help to protect endangered species. They allow scientists to study animal behavior.
- Economic perspective: Zoos employ large numbers of people. They provide job opportunities and income for the local area. The money raised can be used for conservation projects.
- Personal perspective: Zoos are interesting, educational and fun. They make a great day out for families. Children learn to appreciate wildlife and nature.
Negatives of zoos:
- Environmental perspective: Zoos are artificial environments. Animals lose their instinct to hunt for food. It would be better to save endangered species by protecting their natural habitats.
- Moral perspective: Keeping animals in cages is unethical. We have no right to use animals for entertainment. Zoos exhibit animals with the aim of making a profit.