Some people think that in the modern world we have become more dependent on each other, while others think that people are now more independent.
Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
First view (we have become more dependent):
- Life is more difficult and expensive, and we are less self- sufficient
- Young people rely on their parents for longer
- Unemployed people receive state benefits
- Our jobs are much more specialised, and we need to work in teams
Second view (we are more independent):
- We rely on machines more than we depend on each other
- The Internet allows us to solve problems without needing help
- Families are more dispersed, and therefore provide less support
- Education gives us the freedom to make our own choices