Some people believe that the salaries paid to professional sportspeople are too high, while others argue that sports salaries are fair.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
View 1: sports salaries are too high
1. Sports professionals earn too much money.
2. They do not provide a vital service.
3. Football players earn enormous salaries by simply kicking a ball.
4. We could all live happily without professional football.
5. We should value professionals such as nurses and teachers more highly.
Many people believe that sports professionals earn too much money. They argue that sport is a form of entertainment rather than a vital public service. We could easily live without sportspeople, yet other professionals who contribute much more to society are undervalued and underpaid. For example, football players can earn enormous salaries by simply kicking a ball, while doctors, nurses and teachers earn a fraction of the money despite being essential for our health and prosperity. From this perspective, sports stars do not deserve the salaries they currently earn. (89 words)